free web page hit counter

CommunityWalk Blog

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Useful Enhancements

I've just released two enhancements to CommunityWalk that are fairly simple, but have been heavily requested so I hope people will find them useful. Both are a bit rough around the edges, but they will be getting better over time.

The first is a little button on the path widget that lets you get driving directions along a path, from point to point. I'd like to integrate driving directions into CommunityWalk more completely, but this is a good first step.

The second is a new view of location information. It is a simple list of locations on a map. It is intended to provided a lighter weight means of viewing location information, with links to the map for each location. Sometimes a simple list like this can provide a great way to view this kind of information.

I am still working on the list view, so you can't get to it through the application yet. If you want to get a sneak preview, though you can go to:

http://www.communitywalk.com/map/list/YOUR_MAP_ID

so if a map is at:

http://www.communitywalk.com/map/1

then the list view is at:

http://www.communitywalk.com/map/list/1

As usual if anyone finds any issues with these enhancements please let me know!

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • I really love this two functionality!

    Now I can show people how I drive around, and even link a specific location on the map.

    Thank you for your hard work!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:23 PM  

  • Hi,

    Could you elaborate how were you able to integrate Yahoo driving directions together with Google maps? I think it is an interesting solution. Why did you opt to do that? From my observations of various Gmap mashups it seems that no one is using the google geocoding functionality. Not sure why.

    thanks!
    jake

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:39 PM  

  • Jake,

    I actually do use the Google geocoder in CommunityWalk along with a few others to provide better coverage. The Google geocoder, though, does not provide the routing instructions necessary for driving directions, so for the time being I am using Yahoo for that.

    I didn't really integrate the yahoo and google apis, I just provided a link to a yahoo maps page that provides the directions.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:04 PM  

  • Ah, I see! I noticed when you click on the driving directions link it opens Yahoo maps and shows coordinates which are translated into actual street addresses on the fly. Are those multiple points and coordinates passed via the link?

    thanks for the clarification,

    jake

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:52 AM  

  • Jake,

    Yes, they are passed via the link/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home