free web page hit counter

CommunityWalk Blog

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Significant Performance Upgrade

I just released a performance upgrade that improved map performance times by as much as 10x depending on the browser. I rushed the upgrade out just a bit as I found out that Google is going to be doing quite a bit on their end as well to make loading a map with a few hundred or thousand markers faster. So I will likely be pulling this performance upgrade out of the system if Google integrates it directly into their code. That said, if you find bugs with anything in the meantime please do report them. I am not sure when Google will be releasing their enhancements, so my upgrade may be in place for a while.

The upgrade also gave me a chance to change around the numbered markers a bit. Maps with numbered markers will notice a significant improvement in the load time of their maps because they are no longer downloading one image per marker. Rather I've overlayed text on top of the image, so there is only one image per marker color.

At the same time I changed the numbering scheme to be more traditional, instead of using letters and numbers the markers now just use numbers.

Again please report any bugs that you find and I will address them right away.

5 Comments:

  • Great Stuff - much faster loading

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 PM  

  • Hmmm. I like the fact that you changed the ID's to numeric rather than mixing numeric with alpha. But now the ID's aren't printing out by default. I wonder if there is some new setting I need to take care of.

    By Blogger Dev, at 8:51 AM  

  • Dev,

    I'm going to take a look at that today to see if I can get that working again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:42 AM  

  • I'm trying to make sure the marker numbers are sequenced in the order I make them....having trouble with that. I'm hoping the map will print with the markers and numbers. Is that true?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 PM  

  • You can use the "order relative to other markers" field in the details tab when editing the marker to specify the order.

    Printing should print the numbers as well although you should check your print preview to make sure.

    By Blogger The Entreprexplorer, at 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home