free web page hit counter

CommunityWalk Blog

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Improved Internal Linking

I might be the only user that takes advantage of internal links because they are so hidden in the application, but they are a powerful feature that I think more people would find useful if it was easier to figure out. The idea is that you can create a link in a description on your map that changes the state of the map. You can cause the zoom level to change, the tab to change, the map to recenter, etc. Personally I use it on almost every single map I've ever created.

In an effort to make it a little more user-friendly I've added in a control panel that shows up when you click "Options" after clicking "Link to this view/marker". The control panel allows you to specify which parts of the map state you want to change. This way you can change the zoom level while leaving the map type alone.

I realize that this is still a little confusing. It is intendended for advanced users. I would like to make it even easier to use, but for the time being this will have to do. Hopefully it is enough to allow more users to take advantage of it.

The map of places I have lived is a great example of internal links in action. They can be placed in marker descriptions as well as the map description and provide total control over the map.

An Example Internal Link:
internal_link('This is an internal link', '01@02180000')

3 Comments:

  • dont get it

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:04 PM  

  • Fair enough. I guess it still needs some improvement :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:07 PM  

  • Can you please explain it step by step?

    Regards,
    vpsnekung.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home