free web page hit counter

CommunityWalk Blog

Monday, June 26, 2006

Bulk Edit - Sort Of

I am putting the final touches on the new bulk edit functionality for CommunityWalk. It is a flexible interface that lets you import data from, export data to, and edit and delete data in Excel. It provides bulk geocoding capabilities as well so you can take an excel file full of addresses and out them on the map.

Here's the catch. Although the functionality is all there, there are still some bugs and I need to figure out a way to explain all of the functionality in a clear way. So there is no link to the functionality on the site. You need to manually enter it to go there. So if the url for you map looks like:

http://www.communitywalk.com/map/100

the bulk edit feature can be found at

http://www.communitywalk.com/bulk/edit/100

There are no instructions yet (I'll be adding them in shortly) and it may be buggy, so you'll want to back up your map (export it to Excel) before using the editing capabilities. For importing, though, it should be good to go.

Please send feedback, either on this blog, in the forums, or by emailing me at communitywalk@gmail.com. Let me know if you find bugs or if there is functionality missing from the feature.

Once I feel comfortable with it I will be integrating it into the application more closely.

4 Comments:

  • I must thank you for the work and effort you have put into this application. The bulk edit function will be a welcom addition for me. I am in the process of setting up a map showing lost/found pets in the UK and also a UK register of stolen dogs (something that is not readily available in the UK). I am capturing data from as many other lost/found sites in the UK as I can and collating it onto the one site at www.pawtrax.co.uk. This bulk upload function will make that job lot easier. Will there be the ability to add photos and links via this method?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:45 AM  

  • Peter, glad to hear that you're finding the system useful. Sounds like it's for a good cause as well.

    You will be able add links via the bulk edit functionality but not photos yet. Hopefully I will be able to find some way to implement such functionality soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:02 AM  

  • Most of the photos that I have been uploading to date have been taken from a url rather than a file.
    Would it not just been seen as a link?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:00 AM  

  • Peter,

    That's true. Support for url based photos that are stored elsewhere could be built in. I'll look into that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home