free web page hit counter

CommunityWalk Blog

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Paths Are Here!

It took a little longer than I expected, but I've finally finished the core functionality for the paths release. This is one of the core features that I've wanted to get into the product for some time now.

It comes along with a new floating widget that calculates the distance of the path and provides some additional navigation buttons that allow you to surf along the path easily. In addition to being draggable, the widget can be collapsed down to one line to get out of your way.

There are still a few known bugs that need to be ironed out (sorry Safari users) and some enhancements that I'd like to get in there to better support paths (printing, a path tab for the right hand side, and path support on the blog code snippet), but there is enough there already to justify a release.

Check out this example map I created a few weeks ago, "A Saturday Afternoon Walk Around San Francisco"!

This release also includes an upgrade to version 2 of the Google Maps API, so CommunityWalk now has all of the European road maps that Google Maps has.

5 Comments:

  • Very nice feature addition Jared. This is the type of thing that podcasters like myself salivate over.

    This is very useful as an after the fact add on to a soundseeing tour. I'm planning my next walk in my head as I write this.

    By Blogger PodcastNYC.net, at 3:38 PM  

  • Glad you like it! Let me know if you have any feedback on it at all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:44 PM  

  • What a great features! I have created two paths. I have been doing it with a great enthousiasm as if I did the travel again.
    Thanks a lot!

    By Blogger ., at 11:22 AM  

  • Hi Jared,
    Great site. I recommended it for a friend who was putting on the Noe Valley Garden tour and wanted to print a map with six locations identified on it. I just did a path of some houses for sale on the Russian River and wanted to use it for directions from one to the next but it looks like that is a feature still to come, eh? It would be great to print it out from stop to stop. Cheers,Andrew

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 PM  

  • Andrew,

    Thanks so much for the suggestion. I think you're absolutely right. I wish I had that functionality in the system already. Hopefully I will be able to get it in there soon.

    Jared

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home