free web page hit counter

CommunityWalk Blog

Friday, July 07, 2006

The New Map Page

For some time now I've been frustrated by the fact that having controls on the bottom of the screen causes too many people to turn away from CommunityWalk not understanding how to use it. So, with the fantastic help of Arena Reed (www.visualarena.com) I decided to redesign the map page to try and make it more intuitive.

Included in the redesign are areas on the page that are dedicated to displaying the map title and description and map comments (on the bottom of the map). I think it makes sense to break these out so that the tab area can be used to list of markers exclusively.

The old design can still be seen by replacing "map" with "oldmap" in the url for any given map (eg. http://www.communitywalk.com/map/1 becomes http://www.communitywalk.com/oldmap/1).

I'm going to continue to make changes to this page and would love to hear feedback from people. Also please report bugs as I've already found a few.

This doesn't affect the various iframe solutions that the site offers, including the commercial map ones. I will likely leave these views alone for the time being, except maybe to round the corners of the tabs. If people want to see changes in these please let me know.

2 Comments:

  • Much prefer the new map page layout. It seems much more natural to use. Any possibility of having multiple tabs on the 'balloons'?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 AM  

  • Peter,

    I've investigated the tabs on the balloons before and ran into some technical issues around it. I'll take another look though. I'd like to do it, but there are some other things that take higher priority right now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home