free web page hit counter

CommunityWalk Blog

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Great Maps Abound

It has been a while since I used this blog to point out any maps that have been created on CommunityWalk. There have simply been too many for me to keep track of. One need just explore the first few pages of the popular tab on the CommunityWalk frontpage to see some maps that were created with great care.

I'd like to take a second, though, to point out two maps that caught my eye today. They are being built as I speak, so they don't have the numbers to make it onto the popular tab, but they have clearly been created with great care.

The first, Community 1372, caught my eye because of the level of organization that went into it. It maps out a city with great detail. It's really quite impressive.

The second, titled "San Antonio", has a much more free flow to it. It captures the city of San Antonio through photos, something done on a number of the more popular maps like StreetPhoto. I've always liked this approach as it really brings to life a completely unique perspective on a place that so many people know and love, allowing people to see it in a completely different light.

I think these two maps simply impressed me with their distinctiveness and the fact that they really made me want to visit their respective areas, but for completely different reasons. I only hope that CommunityWalk will continue to develop and grow until it has many more maps like these. Once the Explore functionality is complete it will be much easier to find maps like these about your favorite part of the world. Personally I can't wait!

2 Comments:

  • Glad you liked the San Antonio page. There is already two other Flickr photographers contributing. Very cool application. Good work!

    Meredith

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:50 PM  

  • Meredith,

    Great job on the map. It's very cool. Thanks for the feedback on the application as well. It's only going to get better! Please let me know if you have any other feedback on it at all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home