free web page hit counter

CommunityWalk Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Fantastic News - Site Redesign On The Way

Over the past few weeks I have been increasingly frustrated with the terrible looking frontpage and the total lack of search/explore/browse functionality for CommunityWalk. People have been adding great content and there is no design to help you find that content at all besides the little effort I put into the front page. In general I have been looking to put together a complete redesign of the front page with extensive search/explore/browse functionality underneath. Unfortunately I haven't had the time.

Well my saving grace has come along. I've just worked out a deal with Ideacodes, a strategic design firm in San Francisco run by Emily Chang and Max Kiesler who put together the popular eHub site, to help me with the redesign. I've already met with them and they are very excited about the project and have a lot of ideas about the design of the site.

It's still going to be a lot of work on my side, so it'll be some time before anything is in place, but at least now things are on track to put a redesign in place. I really think this has the potential to make CommunityWalk a very legitimate, useful, and fun to explore website. Most importantly, though, it will better highlight all of the amazing content people have been putting on the site, sharing their communities and general perspectives on the world!

5 Comments:

  • WJ,

    Thanks for the feedback :)

    I've been thinking alot about capturing time based information. I think it is very important and a fundamental aspect of the information that CommunityWalk captures. I am still wrestling with exactly how to accomplish it and have been completely overwhelmed with getting the basic functionality in place. It is on the roadmap, I'm just not exactly sure how or when it will be accomplished.

    BTW: Keep an eye on this blog regarding an exciting new feature for panoramic photos in the next couple of days!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:48 PM  

  • Travelpod is another site which combines trip logging with mapping with photography. You might get some ideas there!

    http://www.travelpod.com/

    By Blogger EGSnyder, at 2:29 PM  

  • Jared: we don't care how it looks, we care about what it does! Thanks for all your hard work and helpfulness when I get flustered. As you've discovered, right after I email you, I usually figure it out for myself and am ashamed for bothering you; but you never make me feel stupid :-). You're providing great tools, and we at recyclebouldervalley wish you a great holiday season! -- Linda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 AM  

  • I think that a redesign sounds like a great idea, and it sounds like you found an awesome team for it! In my work over at Net Squared (http://netsquared.org - where Community Walk has been profiled in our case studies) I just showed someone both this site and Wayfaring.com. Before they could even look at the functionality they were impressed with the look of Wayfaring. But when I told them about the helicopter landing zones map of Pakistan - then they were excited again about Community Walk. You've got a great community of users already, and I think that a great design will only help you grow even more. Best of luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:57 PM  

  • Marshall,

    It's right around the corner. I wa almost able to get it released today, but decided to hold back because of the holidays (didn't want to worry about it over Christmas dinner). Check back in late next week though!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home